Crown of Midnight Review

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

17670709

3/5 stars

This book was a huge let down after the first amazing instalment.

This book only remotely got interesting when Nehemia died. 

I felt like Dorian's use in this book could've only been for the end. Otherwise, he was utterly boring and has little to no passion. He was basically a different guy than in the first book!

Let's talk about the problematic relationship of Chaol (which, by the way, was spelt with a K in my previous edition??) and Cel. It was going pretty boring and predictable (even the part when he betrays her) until Cel goes ape-shit on him, and Dorian stops her from killing Chaol. I did appreciate that even after they established their love, that Celaena didn't go all mushy - heroiney. The very last scene with them was laughable- I'm sorry, but how many tragic love stories will there be with the couple separating and then one of them call out that the love the other??? 

Fleetwood was mentioned far too many times for a character that isn't useful besides for comedic purposes. 

I did like the plot twist of Cel being Fae. I now see the use of such a cryptic subplot from these two books about the species. 

I would definitely not read this again. 

I should say, I wasn't really in the mood for this once I finally got around to reading it. I was so excited when I first borrowed it, however it's been 7 weeks and I'm now in the mood for sci-fi. This may be why I didn't enjoy it as much? I'm not sure. 

I still will continue to read the series. 

I recommend to: nobody, unless they're really determined to read the rest of the series.