Fighting the Facebook Addiction

Now I wouldn't say I'm addicted to Facebook, per se.

But I would most definitely say I have an urge to see if somebody has messaged me on Facebook, when I know there's no reason for anybody to message me. I've tried to cut back already by deleting the app and messaging my friends on my phone.

What is it that I love about a meaningless scroll through Facebook?

I actually hate to do it on Instagram, particularly on personal accounts. It's so dull.

But Facebook?

It has partially to do with what was mentioned earlier, about my need to see if I'm needed or thought of from somebody else.

But I think it's also being in the 'know' of things. Buzzfeed is also addictive.

I may have 2x 1000 word essays to memorise in 1 night, but that evanescent need continues to lurk in the back of my mind.

I read on Goodreads one of my friends has successfully changed their Facebook addiction to a even larger book addiction.

Wouldn't we all love to have extra time to read?

So I talked to them some more about how they did it.

They said that everytime they had an urge to feed that need to check Facebook meaninglessly, they would pick up a book.

I think I'm going to try this out! I encourage you to all try this too, whether for a day, week or month! You don't have to set a duration, but it'd be easier to stick to it rather than breaking it.


How to Get Started:

  1. Make sure you have enough books to wizz through ;) Don't have enough money? GO TO THE LIBRARY. Since I have a particular genre I usually stick to (YA- paranormal- romance), most of the books the library has gotten are untouched. They're NOT all 'gross and old'. Give it a go! 
  2. Yes, check Facebook one last time. 
  3. Tell all your friends (your REAL friends, not your Facebook 'friends') where else they can contact you for the duration of your challenge. Texting or emailing is always good. 
  4. Bring a book where-ever you go. If you're doing things such as studying, like myself, try to read between an interval. Such as every 40 mins of study= 15 mins reading time. 
  5. You're good to go! Enjoy your detox of boring and meaningless web articles and say hello to the beauty of another world! 

Signs You May Be Addicted to Facebook

1.Oversharing
2.Checking Facebook whenever possible
3. Overly concerned with your Facebook image
4. Mundane status updates
5. Spending HOURS each day on Facebook
To see how long you spend on an iPhone, go into settings > general > usage. Tap anywhere on the list to see the hours as well as the percentage.
6. Friend addiction
7. Over-reliance on social media life

Note: This challenge is not exclusive to Facebook. It may include all or any social media platform. Good luck!

the other one

Comments