Review: Empire of Storms

Empire of Storms Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Read more bookish goodness on my book blog: Cal's YA Reads
SECOND TIME READING:
(I've added comments to my original piece-of-shit review)

Okay so overall, I enjoyed this book. It was on the same level as ACOWAR for me: where I really enjoyed the previous instalment, and it was basically impossible to beat it with the next one, no matter what's going on. STILL BETTER THAN THE FIRST BOOK; but had parts that were a bit boring.

Idk what happened. I've been LOVING my rereads of SJM. I've been reeeeally sick for the past 2 weeks, so maybe that's why?

I really loved the start and the ending. A lot what happened on the boat was meh. I enjoyed it more than the first time I read it-- but I kept putting it down because I was a bit bored. (Which I hate myself for bc guys I LOVED THE START AND THE ENDING. THAT WAS ......... LIT..... af. I didn't want to put the book down).

The ending reminded me so much of ACOMAF; with the show down, then the elopement, and the kidnapping???????????? And when Rowan's cousins come sailing in to save the day????? THAT TOTALLY REMINDED ME OF ACOWAR. ......Cool, dude. I'm down for that. Idrc at this point. I'm here to suffer through every beautiful piece of heartbreak SJM writes, now and forever.

I'm keen for what happens next. Idc about Chaol tbh, but I'll OF COURSE read it. Just............ I NEED MORE. I LOVE ROWAN. I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS W AEDION AND LYSANDRA. AND MANON AND DORIAN. AND ELIDE AND LORCAN (who I kinda hate sorry not sorry [to quote past-me]).

Quotes/Updates:
July 3, 2017 – page 52
7.5% "So this was a slow start... I WANT MORE AELIN."

July 4, 2017 – page 61
8.8% "Okay I hate Darrow"

July 4, 2017 – page 94
13.56% ""And if they picked it, picked them, it might very well cause the end of it."
THINKING ABOUT THE ENDING AHHHHH"

July 4, 2017 – page 122
17.6% "I… HATE… MANON'S GRANDMOTHER!!!!!!!!
Ps I think my fave storyline in this book is Elide and Lorcan :)"

July 4, 2017 – page 157
22.66% "There's the writing style I know and love so much ❤️😌
Time to 😴"

July 5, 2017 – page 164
23.67% "Holy shit MANON YES"

July 5, 2017 – page 201
29.0% "I basically imagine Skull's Bay as a town-version of Hook's ship."

July 5, 2017 – page 208
30.01% "Guess who just joined the party???
FENRYS"

July 8, 2017 – page 236
34.05% ""'Somewhere safe.'"
YALL KNOW WHERE THAT IS FOR MANON 😏"

July 8, 2017 – page 243
35.06% ""'Allow me to introduce you, Captain Rolfe, the incomparable, the beautiful, and the absolutely and all-round flawless Queen of Terrasen.'""

July 8, 2017 – page 301
43.43% "These guys are SUCH a lil family ❤️
(Lysandra storming into Rowaelin's bedroom to steal some clothes for Aedion)"

July 8, 2017 – page 338
48.77% ""Aelin was perched on Rowan's shoulders, scanning the bay."
Somebody PLEASE tell me that this has been drawn in fanart??? I Need This Now Thank You."

July 8, 2017 – page 348
50.22% "Aedion and Lysandra <3 <3 <3"

July 8, 2017 – page 358
51.66% "description"

July 9, 2017 – page 373
53.82% "Part Two BABY"

July 9, 2017 – page 373
53.82% "I'M NOT READY FOR EVERYTHING TO GO DOWNHILL"

July 9, 2017 – page 397
57.29% ""'Witch, woman… as long as the parts that matter are there, what difference does it make?'"
I have an inkling if I had to pick any of the characters from SJM's world and nominate them for "Most Likely to Be Caught Sending/Requesting Nudes 100x per week"; it would be Dorian."

July 9, 2017 – page 399
57.58% ""'Then I suppose you and I are both heirs without crowns.'""

July 9, 2017 – page 401
57.86% "I'm glad Manon is back 😁 I really am interested in the Crochan heritage."

July 11, 2017 – page 422
60.89% ""'I'd walk into the burning heart of hell itself to find you.'""

July 11, 2017 – page 423
61.04% ""'I'll always find a way back to you.'""

July 11, 2017 – page 429
61.9% "Manon and Dorian <3 <3 <3 (Dorian's such a tease)"

July 11, 2017 – page 564
81.39% "Lorcan and Elide
Rowan and Aelin
Aedion and Lysandra
Manon and Dorian
Abraxos sunbaking and pooping on the poop deck
SJM continuing to represent bisexuals in her books
Everybody's reunited
IM SO HAPPY"

July 11, 2017 – page 580
83.69% "Enter motherfreaking Maeve."

July 11, 2017 – page 614
88.6% "Not gonna lie-- I was so close to drifting off at Nehemia's part. Idk if it was boring or I'm just so deliriously sick atm…"

July 13, 2017 – page 638
92.06% "I have shivers from Abraxos and the Thirteen's entering to the battle!!!"

July 13, 2017 – page 648
93.51% ""The impact shook the world.
Even Manon was thrown on her ass."
SJM'S WRITING IS BRILLIANT AND I CAN'T CHOOSE WHICH SENTENCE IS MY FAVE"

July 13, 2017 – page 658
94.95% "Holy crap. I forgot so many plot twists-- this is great!!!
SJM had me doubting whether Rowaelin were really mates or not. I thought maybe my memory was deceiving me. NOPE. This is rereading ACOMAF all over again haha."


oOo

FIRST TIME READING:


3.75/5 stars

Yeh alright this is fine. It wasn't the worst I've read from SJM, but in no means was is terribly epic for me. I'm sorry but everything is so predictable?????? ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ can yall hear my internal screaming imploding my motherfucking mind, wishing i died before i wrote this bullshit

Oh except for a certain hook up.

Manon. Dorian.

Gross.

Sorry (not sorry). SIT YOUR BASIC, SALTY CELORIAN-SHIPPING ASS DOWN FOR FUCK SAKE.
CELORIAN HASN'T HAPPENED IN 4 BOOKS. GET. OVER. IT. BITCH.


Once again, SJM introduces characters that I don't care for, and can't follow??????? Why??? Does? She?? Do!? THIS?!!!!! GROW??? SOME??????? TASTE?????????????

Idk guys, her writing has improved and she wrote the action really well, but now her romance scenes are lacking. there was like 4 main couples in this PLUS kickass friendships being formed left,right,and centre HOW can u complain???? I think past-me needed some SERIOUS THERAPY over being so bitter about Celorian not being end game........ Like I swear every dramatic moment HAS to be written in truncated, obvious statements. Do you know what I mean?

An actual scene most likely:

He wanted her. All of her. Fire. Passion. The moon was shining. It wasn't that he wanted (some profound, unrelated notion), it was HER.

Do you see the BS???? Why does nobody see the BS???????? I feel like I'm the only one STILL trying to like this bloody story. Ugh. i can spot the regret i have

Whatever-- I love her ACOTR bitch couldnt even abbreviate the proper title series. I can still hold onto that. GOD BLESS FUTURE ME FOR MAKING ME GIVE TOG ANOTHER GO BC I LOVED ACOTAR SO MUCH SO I GAVE THIS ANOTHER GO AND IT'S BEEN SUCHA FUN YEAR. 2017 HAS BEEN THE YEAR OF SARAH J MAAS FOR ME AND I AM VERY HAPPY. THANK YOU ALL.

View all my reviews

Comments

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment expressing your thoughts! :)